Enabling support for the inclusion of on premise devices would allow customers to fill in any gaps for their test scenarios and afford a high level of flexibility.
Think of this a bit like how Visual Studio Team Services enables customers to add their own on premise build agents to their build pipelines.
Common reasons why customers may want this functionality:
- They work with highly specialized devices that are not likely to be added to Test Cloud.
- They would like to be able to leverage the existing on-prem device hardware investments they've made as part of their Test Cloud runs.
- They would like to be able to create automation tests that include devices running custom software.
- They would like to be able to create automation tests that include devices connected to a specific carrier.
- They would like to be able to create automation tests that leverage device hardware as part of covered test scenarios. Examples include:
- Using the device camera to scan a barcode.
- Using the device's NFC support to read a tag.
- Using custom hardware (Ex: barcode scanning laser).